Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I Broke My BIG Rule!

So, all my close friends know that I am really strict with bedtimes, naps, and sleeping routines with my kids. I am especially firm about NOT letting my kids sleep in bed with me. Ok, they occasionally take a nap in my bed with me or sleep in my bed in a hotel...but those are special times that are unusual. I have ALWAYS held my ground at home, at night, in my bed.

Well, last night Zeke got really sick and was running fever, complaining of back pain, and in general...not feeling well at all. He was actually quite hysterical at certain points of the evening..so much so that he had even convinced me that I might need to take him to the ER. Zeke has a flair for the dramatic so I don't tend to react a lot to extreme emotion with him...but he did seem to truly be in a lot of pain.

Lucky for us...Aunt Lisa came to our rescue. She & Uncle Bryan (thank you Bryan & Lisa) came over to make a house call at 11pm last night. After a little investigating we decided that the sharp back pain was gas (poor guy)...we gave him ibuprofen for the fever and a breathing treatment for the wheezing.

Zeke was so restless that night...that by 1:30am I decided to put him in bed with me. He just needed his mommy. After about 45 kicks to the ribs, I was quickly reminded as to why I don't share my bed with my children. Now mind you, I have a king-size mattress but, nontheless, Zeke always managed to move right up against my backside...practically knocking me to the floor. After getting up and lifting him over to the other side of the bed about 4 times...he still managed to find me. We semi-slept that night. But...at least he got to be with his mommy while he we sick. And I will admit that I loved getting the cuddle time with my baby-boy....even if it did require a little "rule-breaking." :)

11 comments:

Trish Osborn said...

Ok so now I know why you said you were so tired. Hope for better sleep for you tonight. Very cute story though.

da momma said...

ah sweet Zekey! Special nights...

Melissa said...

I totally agree with that rule! And I, too, was in bed with my little man last night after a nightmare. I love being a mom!
Melissa Wylie Kitchens

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

I am sure he loved that his mommy came to the rescue.

amber dayton said...

Poor Zeke! And poor you! We have the same rule at our house, and it does occasionally get broken when someone is really sick in the night. Anna turns into a spider monkey or octopus... her little arms & legs have to be wrapped around you until she's practically on top of you & you can't breath. I never sleep a wink! I hope Zeke is quickly better so you can get some rest.

Kate said...

I'm sorry he wasn't feeling well and am very impressed with your boundaries about sleeping. He's so cute - glad I got to meet he and K and to see you this past weekend!

Anonymous said...

Jenny, thanks so much for continuing to provide us the day-to-day, unpredictable,and often hilarious happenings of the Wims family. Of course, this episode was certainly not hilarious for Zeke. Nevertheless, I so look forward to following these day-to-day happenings of the Wims. I understand that you may be coming to NC soon but unfortunately, probably not to Charlotte. I do hope you we can get you to Charlotte sometime so that you can come to Aunt Vickie's breakfast group and share some of the happenings in person. You all continue in my thoughts and prayers. Nancy Williams

kj7 said...

Last night must have been the "meetings in bed" night. Kaitlyn came and got in bed with me at some point...she even managed to sneak in so I didn't feel her...but that's not normally the case. Hope you get good sleep tonight!

Angie Campbell said...

Hope he feels better soon. We too had a sleep with me night, and my kids NEVER sleep with me either- because I can't sleep. Trace had a nightmare and wouldn't go back to sleep, but I was just too zonked out to get up and put him back in bed, so he crawled in. About 30 minutes later, I took him back to bed. Hope you get more rest tonight. Gas can be so uncomfortble for them. We did end up in the ER with Carson one time for gas... lucky Lisa was able to detect it for you.

Jennifer Gordon said...

I am so glad that this looks to be only a one night thing. Our MDO program had a "Leprechan" playing jokes at school, which has completely freaked out Bethany (almost 4) for the past month. She now has to have someone in the same room to go to the bathroom, take a bath, and go to sleep. I hope this ends soon. I can't figure out how to talk reason to a 3 year old and convince her of things that are not real. At one point she said, "I know they're not real Mommy. They are in Ireland." I don't think her brain is getting it. I hope Zeke is better tonight.

Renee said...

Maybe it was just rule modification based on a recognized need.

Hope Zeke is on the mend and you both get to catch up on the lost sleep.

Praying without waiver.